In the early 1900’s, homesteaders in the Deep Creek area recognized the need for Christian fellowship and began meeting in homes for Sunday School and church. A number of denominations were represented, but all came together to worship God in one accord.
In the 1930’s they moved to a one-room schoolhouse for several years. The Fortine Community Church officially began January 1, 1943 at its current location. It was well attended for many years and served as a sanctuary and meeting place until the night of January 9, 1962, when it caught fire. A new church was built on the same grounds. Over the years the structure has been renovated and amended to meet the needs of the ministry.
In the early 1980’s construction of a fellowship hall and kitchen was completed. In 1990, a vision to turn the sanctuary around 180o came to pass and an amazing change took place. In 1995 another addition provided room for a church office, nursery, large classroom, and entry area.
Those things are basically a structural picture of the “church” in Fortine. The true church is found in the strong faith and witness of the Christ followers who have faithfully attended, prayed for, volunteered with, and carried out the ministry of the Fortine Community Church over the years.
Over the years, many have come through the doors of the church and received the call to the ministry as missionaries, pastors, and other roles in God’s kingdom. Equally important, many have stayed in the community, working daily with their families, neighbors and friends, living life as God leads. Through the years, the doors of the Fortine Community Church have opened to all who seek, that they may find the grace given by God and the restoration available only through him.
On January 1, 1944, the church became affiliated with the Christian and Missionary Alliance. Records show it was incorporated September 13, 1946. On January 5, 1975, Fortine Community Church became an “organized” church with the Christian and Missionary Alliance.